Story of a villa and a Tuscan family
In 1972, Gaspero Righini describes Villa Il Poggiale in his book “Il Chianti Classico” as follows: “The Poggiale, one of the most ancient and beautiful villas in San Casciano, stands on the level top of the Argiano hill, with its old and solid dark walls, along the Via Empolese. The garden side has an elegant cloister, enriched by Tuscan-style columns, and all the doors and the windows are decorated with pure Renaissance-style stones”.
The very early news about the villa dates back to the 1408, when the Corsini family bought the Poggiale from Jacopo d’Agostini Martini. The villa was then owned by the Florence priory commendam and later by the Ricasoli – Rucellai family.
Its exterior dates back to the XVI century, with its nice Renaissance loggia and elegant door and window framings finished in Serena stone. The central courtyard, along with its well, is probably the most ancient part of the villa; several embellishments and extensions were carried out in later times.
The interior decorations date back to the early XVII century, with nice frescoed rooms and painted doors. The premises for coach access and the coach house are frescoed with Renaissance grotesqueries.
“We all used to live happily together at Poggiale, first with fiancées and lots of friends, then with our wives and children.
Our father used to write his international law books in the big quiet room and our mother used to work in the garden, with dogs and children running around her.
When our parents died, we thought that it would have been nice to preserve the atmosphere of the Poggiale, full of guests coming from all around the world. We hope we managed to make our guests feel the same pleasure we always felt when we used to live here.
So, in 2001 we started work in the Poggiale, to make it as it is nowadays: an elegant hotel with a homelike atmosphere”
Johanan and Nathanel Vitta